Sony’s “Battle: Los Angeles” topped the weekend box office with a whopping (estimated) $36 million opening, but Warner Bros.’ “Red Riding Hood” and Disney’s “Mars Needs Moms” didn’t fare so well.
Sad part? The Mars movie cost $150 million to produce, but only grossed $6.8 million in its opening debut–OMG!
Red Riding Hood tried its best to appeal to a younger female audience but opened to an estimated $14.1 million, well behind expectations.
Paramount’s Rango trounced both Red Riding Hood and Mars, grossing $23.1 million in its second weekend to come in No. 2 behind Battle. Rango’s cumulative numbers is roughly $68.7 million. I had the opportunity to see it–Oscar material in my opinion.
The Adjustment Bureau fell 46% in its second weekend to an estimated $11.5 million and so far the movie has brought in $38.5 million.
Here’s the Top 10:
1. Battle: Los Angeles (Sony) NEW [3,417 Theaters]
Friday $13.5, Saturday $3.7M, Weekend $39M
2. Rango (Paramount) Week 2 [3,923 Theaters]
Friday $5.5M, Saturday $10.2M, Weekend $23M (-39%), Cume $68.6M
3. Red Riding Hood (Warner Bros) NEW [3,030 Theaters]
Friday $5M, Saturday $5.7M, Weekend $14.1M
4. The Adjustment Bureau (MRC/Universal) Week 2 [2,847 Theaters]
Friday $3.4M, Saturday $5.5M, Weekend $12M (-43%), Cume $38.4M
5. Mars Needs Moms (Imagemovers/Disney) NEW [3,117 Theaters]
Friday $1.8, Saturday $3.1M, Weekend $6.8M
6. Hall Pass (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 3 [2,555 Theaters]
Friday $1.5M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $5.1M, Cume $34.9M
7. Beastly (CBS Films/Sony) Week 2 [1,959 Theaters]
Friday $1.6M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $5M (-48%), Cume $16.9M
8. Just Go With It (Sony) Week 5 [2,398 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $4M, Cume $93.9M
9. The King’s Speech (The Weinstein Co) Week 16 [1,768 Theaters]
Friday $940M, Saturday $1.7M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $129M
10. Gnomeo & Juliet 3D (Disney) Week 5 ( [2,585 Theaters]
Friday $835K, Saturday $1.8M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $89M